I am so delighted to tell you about my new passion of Kids Portrait Painting. It is so much fun! And I hope you will love it as much as I do! It is not hard, but you have to be patient. I am not a patient person at all, but my art teacher taught me to be so. I always came in the morning and wanted to finish my painting till lunchtime. But nope. He taught me better. I am improving every session through his persistancy but I also need around 10-15 hours for a portrait at the moment. It is a roller coaster of emotions during the process, but I love it.
And the most important thing is: I keep the style that suits me best. I am a rather rough painter, can’t paint photographically at all, but still you can recognise the kids almost at once 🙂
Here are my 7 magic steps:
First I chose a picture that is absolutely lovely – of my kid, my friends kids, whoever wants to be painted by thetreasurette 🙂
- The very first step is a plain drawing, with charcoal, later I go over it with a thin brush and some light and decent colour like Umbra nature or grey and black (you can get it all from BOESNER).
2. After that I start colouring the shadows and lights on my initial drawing.
3. I try to go into more detail still without colour, just by using grey and earth tones.
4. Finally I start mixing my colours for skin tones and hair. That step is so much fun, when you finally put live into your drawing.
5. During that phase it is important to lay the foundation for the background. Even if you change it later on – you definitely get a much better picture of your painting. Now you can see the portrait embedded in the background. And you discover spots where you have to improve urgently.
6. At the end I work on everything at the same time… background colour, improvement of the face details and everything else that still disturbs me.
7. So, I went back to the baby´s hair, her face-colour was not smooth enough in my eyes, and her body was too light coloured. A piece of art is probably never finished, but that one is very close to it 🙂 After almost 12 hours of work, I will keep it that way!
TheTreasurette-Tip: Be patient, don’t think you will finish it in 3 hours… it can take you ages. Painting with acrylic colours means working layer over layer – that is the magic of those colours. They start looking gorgeous once you can see through the other layers!
TheTreasurette-Fave: My favourite phase is the extrem-colour-phase. Step 4! I love trying out the maximum possible, you can always overpaint it later – but it will shine through!
Hope you had fun reading! I am open to paint your child, baby or anyone else anytime!